A marine mollusk with a flattened shell and a soft body, which is widely used for food in many countries, especially in Asia.
Early 17th century: from spanish abulón, probably of native american origin.
- Abalone is considered a delicacy and is often served in high-end restaurants.
- The abalone shells are used for jewelry and other decorative items.
- The abalone is a slow-growing species, which has led to overfishing and conservation efforts.
- The meat of the abalone is considered to have a rich, buttery flavor.
- Abalone is a popular ingredient in many traditional dishes, such as sushi and stir-fry.