- To make someone feel embarrassed or ashamed, often by causing them to feel self-conscious or uncomfortable.
- To confuse or dishearten someone.
From the middle english word "abaishen" meaning "to dismay or confuse" or "to dishearten", the word comes from the old french "esbaissier" meaning "to lower, to humble". the word was first used in english in the 14th century.
- The rude comment abashed the speaker.
- The mistake abashed the student.
- His actions abashed the whole team.
- The news abashed him and he couldn't speak.
- The host abashed the guest by asking an uncomfortable question.
Some random words: technocratic, both, forewarn