- The act of reducing or lessening the severity or intensity of something.
- The removal or elimination of something.
The word "abatement" originated in the 14th century, it comes from the old french word "abattre" meaning to beat down or remove.
- There was an abatement in the noise level after midnight.
- The government introduced an abatement program to reduce air pollution.
- The company was fined for failure to comply with the abatement order.
- The abatement of the nuisance required the removal of the source.
- The abatement of the disease was due to the new medication.