- A monastery or convent ruled by an abbot or abbess.
- A building used by such a community of people dedicated to religious life.
- A church associated with a monastery or convent.
From old french abbaie, from late latin abbatia, from latin abbatem ("abbot"), from aramaic abbā ("father"), from ancient greek abbás ("father").
- The abbey was founded in the 11th century and has been a center of learning and devotion ever since.
- The abbey is known for its beautiful architecture and rich history.
- The abbey was home to a community of nuns who dedicated their lives to prayer and service.
- The abbey was sacked by the invaders and its treasures were taken or destroyed.
- The abbey is a popular tourist destination and attracts many visitors every year.