- To shorten or reduce in length or duration.
- To shorten (a word or phrase) by using an abbreviation or initialism.
- To represent (something) in a shortened form.
From latin abbreviare, to shorten, from ad- + brevis 'short'.
- He abbreviated his name to just 'Jim' for convenience.
- The word 'United States of America' is often abbreviated to 'USA'.
- The class was abbreviated to just an hour because of the snowstorm.
- The report was abbreviated to just the most important points for the presentation.
- She abbreviated the address to just the zip code to save space on the envelope.
Some random words: fortune, tennis, inescapable