- The act of washing oneself or one's clothes or body as a religious rite.
- A washing or cleansing of something, especially as a ritual.
From the latin word "ablutio" which means "washing" or "cleansing", the word was first used in the 16th century in english.
- The mosque provided facilities for the ablution of the worshippers.
- Ablution is a necessary step in the Islamic prayer ritual.
- The ablution of the hands and face is an important part of the Hindu puja ceremony.
- The ablution of the surgical instruments is necessary to avoid infections.
- The ablution of the body is a way of purifying oneself before prayer.