- A person who advocates or works for the abolition of slavery, or any other system or practice.
- A person who supports the abolition of a particular thing.
Late 18th century; earliest use found in the monthly magazine. from abolition + -ist.
- Frederick Douglass was a famous abolitionist who fought for the rights of enslaved African Americans.
- Many abolitionists in the 19th century worked to end the transatlantic slave trade.
- Abolitionists in the United States sought to end the practice of slavery in the country.
- The abolitionist movement in the United Kingdom was led by figures like William Wilberforce.
- Some contemporary abolitionists are working to end the death penalty and other forms of state-sanctioned killing.
Some random words: unconsidered, ringside, dimension