- To shorten or reduce the length of (a text or speech) while retaining the essential parts.
- To restrict or limit the scope of (something) in some way.
From latin abridgare "to shorten", from ab- "away" + ridgare "to make straight", from rigus "straight".
- The editor abridged the novel to make it more suitable for a younger audience.
- The teacher abridged the lesson to make it more manageable for the students.
- The dictionary abridges the definitions to save space.
- The government abridged the freedom of speech.
- The company abridged the employee's benefits.