- The state of not being present.
- The failure to attend an event or meeting.
- The state of being away from a place or person.
- The state of being away from one's job or duties.
Middle english: from old french, from latin absentia, from absens "being away", present participle of abesse "be away".
- The class started without him because of his absence.
- His absence was noticed at the meeting.
- She was in a state of absence.
- His absence from work was due to illness.
- The absence of the sun made the day gloomy.