- A person who is absent, especially from a place where they are expected to be.
- A person who does not vote or attend meetings.
From french absenté, from absent ("absent"), from latin absentem, accusative singular of absēns, present participle of abesse ("to be away"), from ab- ("away") + esse ("to be").
- The absentee list for the meeting was quite long.
- The absentee voters could still have an impact on the election results.
- The absentee landlord was unpopular with the tenants.
- Absenteeism is a major problem in many companies.
- The absentee was penalized for not attending the important meeting.