- The act of staying away from work or school without good reason or permission.
- Frequent or habitual absence from work or school.
From the french absentéisme, from absenté ("absent") + -isme ("-is.m")
- The company had to deal with high levels of absenteeism among its employees.
- The absenteeism rate among students in the school was alarmingly high.
- His absenteeism from the meetings caused delays in the project completion.
- The union blamed the company's poor management for the high rate of absenteeism.
- The school implemented a strict policy to reduce absenteeism among students.