An alcoholic beverage made with wormwood and other herbs, that was popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but was banned in many countries because of its high alcohol content and its supposed psychoactive effects.
From french absinthe, from latin absinthium.
- She ordered a glass of absinthe at the bar.
- The drink absinthe was popular among the bohemian artists and writers in late 19th century Paris.
- Absinthe was banned in the United States in the early 20th century due to its high alcohol content and its supposed psychoactive effects.
- Absinthe is traditionally served with a sugar cube and a slotted spoon.
- The drink absinthe has a distinct anise flavor, and it is usually very strong.
Some random words: sidereal, facing, langoustine