- The principle or the exercise of complete and unrestricted power in government.
- The belief that some person or institution has complete and unrestricted power.
From latin absolutus, past participle of absolvere "to make free, set free".
- The country was ruled by an absolutism monarchy.
- The king believed in absolutism and would not tolerate any opposition.
- The regime was characterized by absolutism and repression.
- His rule was marked by absolutism and the suppression of political opposition.
- The doctrine of absolutism holds that the ruler's power is absolute and not limited by law.