The ability of a material or substance to take in liquids, gases or other substances.
The word "absorbency" is derived from the latin word "absorbere" which means "to swallow up, suck in".
- The absorbency of the paper towel was tested by seeing how much water it could hold.
- The absorbency of the new sponge was much better than the old one.
- The absorbency of the soil is important for the growth of plants.
- The baby's diaper had high absorbency and can keep the baby dry for longer.
- The scientists tested the absorbency of different materials to find the best one for making a water filter.