- Lost in thought; preoccupied.
- Not paying attention to one's surroundings or the people around them.
- Not relating to or dealing with specific or practical matters; theoretical.
From latin abstractus, from abstrahere "to draw away".
- He was so abstracted that he didn't even hear me enter the room.
- She was abstracted, her mind far away from the present conversation.
- He was so abstracted that he didn't even notice the change in the weather.
- The artist was so abstracted that he could not finish the painting.
- The scientist was so abstracted that he didn't even hear the phone ringing.