- To use something in a way that is not intended or for a purpose for which it was not designed.
- To treat someone in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way.
- To speak to someone in an insulting or threatening manner.
The word 'abuse' comes from latin 'abūtī', meaning 'to use up or to make excessive use of'.
- He was accused of abusing his power as a police officer.
- She reported her husband for physically abusing her.
- The bully was caught on camera verbally abusing the younger students.
- The government was accused of abusing its authority by detaining protesters without trial.
- They have been abusing the system by taking advantage of loopholes.