Pertaining to the deepest parts of the ocean, the abyssal zone, typically below a depth of about 2000 meters.
From the noun abyss, from latin abyssus "bottomless pit".
- The abyssal plain is a flat, featureless area of the seafloor.
- Abyssal creatures are adapted to survive in the extreme conditions of the deep ocean.
- The abyssal zone is characterized by very high pressure and very low temperatures.
- Abyssal organisms are uniquely adapted to survive in the deep ocean.
- The abyssal zone is the least explored part of the ocean, and much of it remains a mystery.