- An institution of higher education, typically offering courses in a particular field of study.
- An organization, society, or institution devoted to a particular field of study or pursuit.
Derived from the greek word "akadēmía", the word "academy" was originally used to describe a school or educational institution in ancient greece.
- She studied at the academy of music for several years.
- The academy awards are given out annually to the best actors and actresses in the film industry.
- He was elected to the academy of sciences for his work in the field of physics.
- The academy is a prestigious institution that trains future leaders in the arts and sciences.
- The academy offers a wide range of courses in fields such as mathematics, science, and engineering.