- Happening by chance or unexpectedly.
- Not planned or intended.
Late 16th century: from medieval latin accidentalis, from latin accidens, accident- "happening, event", from accidere "happen", from ad- "to" + cadere "fall".
- The meeting was accidental, we ran into each other at the store.
- The discovery of the new planet was an accidental find during the telescope observation.
- The injury was accidental, it happened while playing sports.
- The painting is an accidental masterpiece, created by a mistake.
- The relationship was accidental, they met by chance on the street.