- To adopt the customs, attitudes, and behavior patterns of a particular group or culture.
- To cause (someone) to adopt the customs, attitudes, and behavior patterns of a particular group or culture.
Early 20th century: blend of the prefix "ad-" + culture + "-ate".
- He acculturated to the new society after living there for a few years.
- She acculturated to the local customs and traditions.
- The immigrants acculturated to the new culture.
- The company"s training program helped new employees acculturate to the company"s culture.
- The school offered a program to acculturate international students to the American way of life.