- A person one knows slightly, but who is not a close friend.
- A person one has met but does not know well.
Late middle english: from old french aquainte, from aquerre "get to know", from latin acquirere.
- I met her at the party, she's just an acquaintance.
- He is an acquaintance of mine from work.
- She is an acquaintance of my sister's.
- The acquaintance became a close friend over time.
- They are just acquaintances, they have not met more than a few times.
Some random words: superglue, pa, psychotherapy