- Having or showing a strong desire to acquire material possessions.
- Relating to the acquisition of things, especially material goods.
Late 16th century: from latin acquisit- 'acquired', from the verb acquirere, from ad- 'to' + quaerere 'seek, obtain'. the original sense was "seeking to acquire".
- He was criticized for his acquisitive nature and love of material goods.
- The young couple were saving up for their acquisitive dream of buying a house.
- Her acquisitive tendencies led her to collect art, antiques and jewelry.
- Acquisitive instincts are often associated with consumerism and materialism.
- The acquisitive drive for material wealth can lead to negative consequences such as debt and dissatisfaction.