An extreme or irrational fear of heights.
The word "acrophobia" is a noun that refers to an extreme or irrational fear of heights. it is derived from the greek words "akros" meaning "highest" and "phobia" meaning "fear". .
- He had a severe case of acrophobia and couldn't even stand on a chair without feeling dizzy.
- She had to overcome her acrophobia before she could go skydiving.
- His acrophobia prevented him from climbing the stairs to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
- The therapist suggested that he try exposure therapy to help him overcome his acrophobia.
- The fear of heights, or acrophobia, can make it difficult for a person to engage in activities that involve heights.