- A person who calculates and advises on financial risks and liabilities.
- A professional who specializes in the use of mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk and uncertainty.
Early 18th century: from latin actuarius, from actus, past participle of agere "do, perform".
- He became an actuary after graduating from university.
- An actuary working for an insurance company.
- The actuary calculated the risk of the company's investment portfolio.
- The actuary helped the company to design a new pension plan.
- Actuaries are in high demand in the finance and insurance industries.