- A substance that is added to another substance to improve or modify its properties.
- A substance that is added to a food or other product to improve its flavor, texture, or appearance.
- A substance that is added to gasoline to improve its performance or to gasoline-powered engines to reduce emissions.
From latin additivus, from addere ("to add"), from ad ("to") + dare ("to give").
- The paint was improved with the addition of a special additive.
- The food product contained several artificial additives to enhance the flavor.
- The additive in the gasoline helped to increase the fuel efficiency.
- The additive in the engine oil reduced the emissions from the engine.
- The additive in the food product was a source of concern for many health-conscious consumers.