- Sufficient for the purpose or needs.
- Of a suitable quality.
- Acceptable but not exceptional.
Late middle english: from latin adequat- "made equal to, suited", from the verb adequare, from ad- "to" + aequus "equal".
- The room was small, but it was adequate for our needs.
- We had an adequate supply of food for the trip.
- He felt that the pay was adequate for the work required.
- The band gave an adequate performance.
- The hotel room was adequate, but nothing special.
Some random words: sweat, communicate, consummate