- The action or process of adjourning, especially the temporary suspension of a meeting, session, or hearing.
- A postponement or delay, especially of a meeting or session.
Late middle english: from old french ajornement, from ajorner 'postpone', based on latin diurnus 'daily'.
- The adjournment of the court was necessary due to technical difficulties.
- The adjournment was requested by the defense.
- The adjournment allowed more time for preparation.
- The adjournment was for one week.
- The adjournment was granted due to inclement weather.