- To scold or reprimand someone gently but firmly.
- To caution or advise someone against a particular action or behavior.
- To express disapproving criticism or reproof to someone.
The word 'admonish' is derived from the latin word 'admonēre' meaning 'to warn or advise'.
- The teacher admonished the student for talking during class.
- The parent admonished their child for not following the rules.
- The manager admonished the employee for arriving late to work.
- The coach admonished the team for their poor performance.
- The friend admonished their companion for making a rash decision.