The period between childhood and adulthood, typically regarded as beginning at puberty and ending at late teens or early twenties.
Late 19th century: from latin adolescens, -entis, present participle of adolescere 'grow up'.
- Adolescence is a time of rapid physical and emotional change.
- He struggled with feelings of insecurity during his adolescence.
- Her parents were concerned about her behavior during her adolescence.
- Adolescence can be a confusing and challenging time for many young people.
- The support of caring adults is important for young people during their adolescence.