- The act or process of making something impure or inferior by adding or mixing in other substances.
- The addition of a foreign or inferior substance to a product, reducing its quality.
Derived from the latin word adulterare, meaning 'to corrupt, debase, or make impure'.
- Adulteration of food with harmful chemicals is a serious concern.
- The wine was found to be adulterated with cheaper substances.
- Adulteration of fuel with cheaper substances can harm engines.
- The spices were adulterated with fillers to increase profits.
- The pure gold was adulterated with cheaper metals, reducing its value.