- Happening or occurring by chance or unexpectedly.
- Not arising from or inherent in a particular situation, substance or organism.
Derived from the latin word adventicius, meaning 'coming from without'.
- The adventitious discovery of oil in the area brought sudden prosperity.
- The adventitious root system is capable of absorbing water and nutrients.
- An adventitious meeting led to a lifelong friendship.
- Adventitious sounds are unintentional sounds in audio recording.
- The adventitious spores were removed from the plant tissue.