- Relating to or denoting a conflict or opposition between two opposing sides or individuals.
- Relating to or involving an adversary or opponent.
- Characterized by hostility or opposition.
Late 19th century: from adversary, on the pattern of advisory.
- The adversarial relationship between the two countries had a negative impact on their diplomatic relations.
- The adversarial nature of the competition made the game very intense.
- The adversarial attitude of the two sides made it difficult to reach a resolution.
- The adversarial approach to negotiations was not productive.
- The adversarial system of justice is based on the idea of opposing parties presenting their arguments in court.