- Having a harmful effect or influence.
- Opposing or blocking progress.
- Difficult or unfavorable.
Late middle english: from old french avers, from latin adversus "turned towards, opposed", past participle of advertere, from ad- "to" + vertere "to turn".
- The company faced many adverse conditions in the market.
- The weather was adverse for sailing.
- His health has been affected by the adverse effects of the drugs.
- The adverse reaction of the public was unexpected.
- The government has been slow in dealing with adverse economic conditions.