- Make publicity for (a product, service, or event) in order to induce people to buy or attend.
- Make known publicly.
Early 17th century: from latin ad- "to" + vertere "turn" (in the sense "draw attention to"). the original sense was "turn to", later "turn towards", giving rise to "draw attention to" (mid 18th century), and "publicize in a newspaper or on a poster" (early 19th century).
- The company is advertising a new product.
- The job was advertised in the newspaper.
- He advertised his services in the Yellow Pages.
- The concert was heavily advertised on television.
- The company advertised the job on their website.