- A notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service or event.
- A paid announcement, as in a newspaper or on television, promoting a product or service.
- An act of calling attention to something, such as a product or service, in order to encourage people to buy or use it.
From middle english avertissement, from old french avertissement, from avertissement, from avertir "to warn" + -ment.
- The company placed an advertisement in the newspaper to recruit new employees.
- The advertisement on television was very effective in increasing sales.
- The product was not selling well until they put out a new advertisement campaign.
- She saw an advertisement for a new car and decided to buy it.
- The advertisement was misleading and the product did not live up to its claims.