- Protection, sponsorship, or support.
- The shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena bearing the Gorgon's head that was supposed to have the power of turning to stone those who looked upon it.
- An organization or agency that provides sponsorship or protection.
Late latin, from greek, shield, protection, from aigos, from aix (genitive aigos) goat.
- The company operates under the aegis of the government.
- The university is under the aegis of the state.
- The project is under the aegis of the ministry.
- The organization operates under the aegis of the United Nations.
- The school operates under the aegis of the church.