A performer who performs acrobatics while suspended in the air, especially while hanging from a trapeze.
Late 19th century: from french aérialiste, from aérien (see aerial).
- The aerialist wowed the crowd with his death-defying stunts.
- Aerialists require a great deal of strength, skill, and courage.
- The circus featured a talented team of aerialists who performed a variety of aerial acts.
- Aerialists must have excellent balance and coordination to perform their feats.
- The aerialist was trained from a young age to master the art of aerial acrobatics.