- Relating to or denoting a nerve or nerve fibers that carry impulses from sensory receptors towards the central nervous system.
- Carrying or transmitting impulses or substances to a central organ or region.
Derived from the latin word afferens, meaning 'carrying towards'.
- Afferent nerve fibers bring signals from the skin to the brain.
- Afferent pathways convey information to the spinal cord.
- Afferent blood vessels bring blood to the heart.
- Afferent signals are transmitted from the periphery to the brain.
- The afferent division of the autonomic nervous system is responsible for transmitting impulses towards the central nervous system.