- A South African of Dutch, French Huguenot, or German descent, especially one who speaks Afrikaans and is a member of the Boer community.
- A member of a group of people who lived in southern Africa and are descended from the Dutch settlers who arrived there in the 17th and 18th centuries.
- A speaker of Afrikaans, a language derived from Dutch and spoken by the Afrikaners.
19th century: from dutch, from afrika "africa" + -er.
- The Afrikaners were instrumental in the development of South Africa.
- The Afrikaner culture is a unique blend of Dutch and African influences.
- The Afrikaners were the dominant political force in South Africa during apartheid.
- The Afrikaners have a strong sense of community and cultural identity.
- The Afrikaner culture is known for its rich history and traditional music and dance.