- A secondary or delayed effect resulting from a previous event or action.
- A lasting effect or consequence of a particular experience or event.
Mid 19th century: from after + effect.
- The earthquake had many aftereffects, including widespread damage and power outages.
- The drug had unpleasant aftereffects, such as headache and nausea.
- The trauma had long-lasting aftereffects on the victim's mental health.
- The change had significant aftereffects on the economy.
- The training had positive aftereffects on the employee's performance.