- An image that continues to appear in the visual field after the stimulus that produced it has been removed.
- A visual phenomenon where an image persists in the visual field after the stimulus that caused it has ended.
Derived from the concept of an image that remains after the stimulation causing it has ended.
- Staring at a bright light for a prolonged period of time can result in an afterimage.
- The afterimage of the bright light lingered for several minutes after it was turned off.
- An afterimage can also be produced by looking at a bright object and then quickly looking away.
- An afterimage is a temporary phenomenon that typically fades within a few seconds.
- The afterimage of the sunrise was imprinted on her retinas as she closed her eyes.