Discrimination or prejudice against people based on their age, either young or old.
Coined by robert neil butler in 1969, it"s a combination of "age" and "-ism" which is a suffix that forms nouns indicating a belief or a practice.
- Ageism is a pervasive problem in the job market, with many older workers facing discrimination.
- The company's policies were criticized for ageism, as they preferred to hire young people over older applicants.
- Ageism is a form of discrimination that can affect people of any age.
- The society's attitude towards aging is often affected by ageism.
- Ageism is a problem that needs to be addressed by society as a whole, not just by older people.