An attack made by military aircraft on enemy ground targets.
Mid 20th century: from air + strike.
- The airstrike caused significant damage to the enemy's military infrastructure.
- The coalition forces carried out a series of airstrikes against the enemy positions.
- The airstrikes were part of a larger military campaign to defeat the enemy.
- The government announced that the airstrikes were in response to the enemy's aggression.
- The opposition claimed that the airstrikes resulted in civilian casualties.