A species of tuna (Thunnus alalunga) that is found in the temperate and tropical waters of the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans. It is also known as longfin tuna and is a popular game fish. It is also used as a food fish and is canned as a tuna.
Late 18th century: from portuguese albacora, from arabic al-bakrah "the cow".
- The sushi chef expertly filleted the albacore.
- He caught an albacore while deep sea fishing.
- The albacore was the catch of the day.
- Albacore is one of the most sought-after tuna species for sport fishing.
- The albacore tuna is a delicacy in Japan.