- A recess or small room off a larger room, especially one with a niche or special purpose.
- A partially enclosed area in a room, typically used as a seating area.
Late middle english (originally denoting a covered passage leading to a courtyard): from old french alcove, from arabic al-qubba 'the dome'.
- The alcove was filled with soft cushions for a cozy nap.
- The shelves in the alcove displayed an extensive collection of books.
- The alcove provided a perfect place for private conversation.
- The children had built a fort in the alcove using blankets and pillows.
- The alcove was a secluded spot for a romantic dinner for two.