A tree or shrub of the birch family, typically found near water and having reddish wood.
Middle english, from old english alor, from proto-germanic *aliso.
- The alder tree is commonly found near streams and rivers.
- The wood of the alder tree is strong and durable, often used for furniture and flooring.
- The alder tree is a popular choice for landscaping due to its fast growth and attractive red bark.
- The alder tree is also used to improve soil quality and to prevent soil erosion.
- The bark of the alder tree is used in traditional medicine to treat various ailments.