- A member of a municipal legislative body in some countries, typically elected.
- A member of the board of aldermen in a city or borough in the US.
Old english ælderman, ealdorman, from æld "old" + man "man".
- The aldermen voted to approve the new zoning ordinance.
- The alderman proposed a resolution to address the city's traffic problem.
- The alderman represents the interests of his constituents on the city council.
- The alderman was re-elected for another term in the recent municipal election.
- The alderman is known for his advocacy for public transportation and environmental issues.