A pub or tavern that serves ale and other alcoholic beverages.
The word "alehouse" comes from the combination of the word "ale" which is a type of beer, and "house" which refers to a building.
- Alehouses were a common place for people to gather and socialize in medieval times.
- He was a regular at the alehouse and would spend most of his evenings there.
- Many alehouses also served food and some even had rooms for travelers to stay overnight.
- During the 18th century, alehouses were often associated with rowdiness and disorder.
- The alehouse was the only place in town that served his favorite brew.