- The process of estranging someone or something, or the state of being estranged.
- A feeling of being isolated, disconnected, or estranged from others or from society.
Late middle english (originally as the adjective alienate): from latin alienatio(n-), from alienare 'to alienate'.
- Young people experiencing alienation from their peers often feel lonely and misunderstood.
- The alienation of workers from the management can lead to low morale and decreased productivity.
- Alienation from one's cultural heritage can result from living in a foreign country for an extended period.
- The alienation of the protagonist from society is a common theme in dystopian literature.
- Many people struggle with feelings of alienation in their personal and professional lives.