- A substance that neutralizes acids and forms salts, typically a metal hydroxide or a soluble base.
- A substance that has a pH greater than 7.
Late 18th century: from arabic al-qaly "the ashes", from the ashes of saltwort plants used to make soda ash.
- The solution was found to contain a high concentration of alkali.
- An alkali metal such as sodium or potassium.
- Alkali soils, which are typically found in dry regions.
- The alkali was added to neutralize the acid.
- The alkali test is used to determine the amount of alkali in a substance.